You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPad storage

I have a 6th gen iPad with 32 gig. It’s full. If I get a new iPad with 64 gig will it give me the full 32 gig extra space or does the operation system and/or other features built in take up some of that space?

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 17, 2021 9:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2021 9:24 AM

If you purchase an iPad with more storage capacity, some of the capacity will be taken up by the system files and the built in apps. A 64GB device will have approximately 56GB - give or take - of available space out of the box.

2 replies

Oct 17, 2021 12:31 PM in response to Murrellsmike

A 64 GBs storage iPad starts out with approx. 60 GBs.,after initial internal flash drive formatting.

Minus approx. 6.5 GBs for iOS/iPadOS leaves between 53-54 GBs.

Minus 3-6 GBs, for iOS/iPadOS system operational reserve, that MUST BE MAINTAINED AT ALL TIMES, to ensure/insure normal, expected operation of iOS/iPad OS, leaves approx. between 48-50 GBs of actual, usable data storage space.

New iPad storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.