You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MPEG-4

I have a mpeg4 video that will not play on my iPad Pro. It plays on a pc without a problem.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 7:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 8:27 AM

I am less familiar with doing this kind of thing on an iPad. The problem with video is there are many, many encoding components out there. These then get bundled together in a container such as mp4 which admittedly limits some variants but some make it in. Then the app you are using to play it (and you are using an app even if it is just Apple's) has to contain a decoder for the type of audio or video you are seeing. Apple is somewhat limited, particularly with them dropping older video codecs recently (at least in iMovie they did). VLC is pretty well trusted and has the advantage that it can play pretty much anything. At least then you could see if the issue was with the payer you are using or if it is with the file itself. If it's with the player then you don't have much option since Apple doesn't let you mess with app capabilities, particularly not on a iPadOS or iOS. Then your option would be to use an app to recode to a mroe friendly version. You'd lose quality and at this stage I particularly am not familiar with how you'd do this on an iPad. Computers have a LOT more flexibility in this regard.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 22, 2021 8:27 AM in response to Daft Dick

I am less familiar with doing this kind of thing on an iPad. The problem with video is there are many, many encoding components out there. These then get bundled together in a container such as mp4 which admittedly limits some variants but some make it in. Then the app you are using to play it (and you are using an app even if it is just Apple's) has to contain a decoder for the type of audio or video you are seeing. Apple is somewhat limited, particularly with them dropping older video codecs recently (at least in iMovie they did). VLC is pretty well trusted and has the advantage that it can play pretty much anything. At least then you could see if the issue was with the payer you are using or if it is with the file itself. If it's with the player then you don't have much option since Apple doesn't let you mess with app capabilities, particularly not on a iPadOS or iOS. Then your option would be to use an app to recode to a mroe friendly version. You'd lose quality and at this stage I particularly am not familiar with how you'd do this on an iPad. Computers have a LOT more flexibility in this regard.

MPEG-4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.