You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Excel for Mac 2011 compatibility with Mac OS Catalina

I have been informed that some software will now require an upgrade from OS Mojave to Catalina. I wish to know if I continue to use Excel for Mac with OS Catalina.

Some other software notified that tis upgrade required. I must now decide what software to discontinue or to keep with using with Mojave. I use Excel for Mac 2011 in MS Office only very adequately and do not wish to upgrade Excel. One option is the discontinue Excel 2011 and use Mac Numbers.

I require this board expertise to help make a decision as to what software to change and or upgrade Mac OS.

Thank you very much for assistance.

Thank you

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 23, 2021 1:53 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 24, 2021 6:07 AM in response to musiu

Just be clear that Apple's Numbers is no Excel clone, and if you have existing Excel spreadsheets that depend on Microsoft macros, or Excel functions not supported in Numbers, then your spreadsheet functionality will not map well to Numbers. Also, realize that Numbers translates the Excel content into Apple's .numbers document format without changing the original Excel file.

Numbers User Guide for Mac

Numbers — Official Apple Support

If you do not presently have Apple's Numbers v11.1 on Catalina, then you won't be able to download v11.2 or any previous version from the Mac App Store because it now requires macOS Big Sur or Monterey.

The free LibreOffice Suite, a deliberate MS Office clone, offers a better Excel-compatible spreadsheet application (Calc) than does Apple.

Oct 23, 2021 3:17 PM in response to musiu

Current versions of Microsoft Office apps like Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. work well with Catalina. The drawback is that upgrades are not free and Microsoft has moved to a subscription model. A user can no longer purchase individual app upgrades. You either pay a monthly subscription or you buy a complete Office suite.

Excel for Mac 2011 compatibility with Mac OS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.