You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Offloading data to iCloud Drive

I'm currently uploading a 315 GB folder from my Mac to iCloud Drive hoping to clear 315 GB of storage on my Mac. I want this folder only in iCloud Drive and not stored locally. Will it work?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 9:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 10:18 AM

As others have noted, iCloud is not an archiving service; but a synchronization across devices. If you want to archive data, use something like BackBlaze (I use it for archiving and online backup). That said, if you really want quicker access, you might want to instead offload the folder to an external drive.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 24, 2021 10:18 AM in response to Apollo471

As others have noted, iCloud is not an archiving service; but a synchronization across devices. If you want to archive data, use something like BackBlaze (I use it for archiving and online backup). That said, if you really want quicker access, you might want to instead offload the folder to an external drive.

Oct 24, 2021 9:45 PM in response to Apollo471

A single folder with massive files / sub folders inside having size of 315 GB is avoided , try to create folder in smaller size .

The folder will get merged in iCloud Drive , when iCloud Drive and desktops and documents box is turned as on .

See the articles Use iCloud Drive to store documents on your Mac and iOS devices - Apple Support

Upload and download files from iCloud Drive on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Access and manage files in your iCloud Drive - Apple Support

To clear iCloud storage see the articles .

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

Save space on your MacBook Air - Apple Support

How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Find and delete files on your Mac - Apple Support

Offloading data to iCloud Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.