You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple tv with Apple Tv+ sign in

I have an older Apple TV device attached to one of my tvs. When I tried to watch Apple TV + on it, there is no where for me to sign in; it only asks me to sign up for a free trial. I have an account as I have it on my smart tvs that have the app built in.

Does anyone know what's going on with my device attached to my tv that does NOT have the app built in?

Thank you!

Apple TV (2nd gen)

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 5:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 7:28 AM

I'm not an expert but this is what I did when presented with this same issue. Check your Apple TV model to see what generation you have by Settings>General>About and cross-reference your model number to the AppleTV type/generation on this link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200008. Once you have confirmed compatibility, be sure to upgrade to the latest version of tvOS if your AppleTV is not already set for automatic upgrades. Be sure you are logged into your AppleTV using the same Apple ID used to sign up for TV+. Then use this link for info on logging in if you are only presented with "Start Free Trail": https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253298632?login=true

How to watch on your Apple TV

1. Open the Apple TV app  from the home screen.
  2. On the Watch Now screen, scroll down to view Apple TV+, Apple TV channels, or featured movies and TV shows, then select an item.
  3. Do any of the following:
    • Play the item or open it in a channel: Select Play or Open In. If you haven’t subscribed to the channel, follow the onscreen instructions.
    • Subscribe to Apple TV+: Select the subscription button, then follow the onscreen instructions to confirm your subscription.
    • Subscribe to an Apple TV channel: Select the subscription button, then follow the onscreen instructions.
    • Buy or rent a movie: Select Buy or Rent, then select the option you want and confirm your purchase or rental.
    • Buy a TV show episode or season: Select Buy, then select the option you want and confirm your purchase.

To learn more about the Apple TV app on Apple TV, see the Apple TV User Guide.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 5, 2021 7:28 AM in response to Ihaveaquestion_please

I'm not an expert but this is what I did when presented with this same issue. Check your Apple TV model to see what generation you have by Settings>General>About and cross-reference your model number to the AppleTV type/generation on this link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200008. Once you have confirmed compatibility, be sure to upgrade to the latest version of tvOS if your AppleTV is not already set for automatic upgrades. Be sure you are logged into your AppleTV using the same Apple ID used to sign up for TV+. Then use this link for info on logging in if you are only presented with "Start Free Trail": https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253298632?login=true

How to watch on your Apple TV

1. Open the Apple TV app  from the home screen.
  2. On the Watch Now screen, scroll down to view Apple TV+, Apple TV channels, or featured movies and TV shows, then select an item.
  3. Do any of the following:
    • Play the item or open it in a channel: Select Play or Open In. If you haven’t subscribed to the channel, follow the onscreen instructions.
    • Subscribe to Apple TV+: Select the subscription button, then follow the onscreen instructions to confirm your subscription.
    • Subscribe to an Apple TV channel: Select the subscription button, then follow the onscreen instructions.
    • Buy or rent a movie: Select Buy or Rent, then select the option you want and confirm your purchase or rental.
    • Buy a TV show episode or season: Select Buy, then select the option you want and confirm your purchase.

To learn more about the Apple TV app on Apple TV, see the Apple TV User Guide.

Apple tv with Apple Tv+ sign in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.