You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I prompt my computer to upgrade to MacOS Big Sur?

My computer is not prompting me to update to MacOs Big Sur, even though I've made the switch on my laptop. How do I make this update?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 9:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 10:07 AM

Unless your iMac is a Late-2014 model, or later, it cannot upgrade to Big Sur. Otherwise, Big Sur is no longer the default operating system in the Mac App Store once Monterey was released, and you will have a different access model to get it.

Using the Safari browser, visit How to get old versions of macOS, verify that your iMac meets the Big Sur hardware requirements, and if so, then follow the Big Sur link to the Mac App Store, where you can download the full installer to your /Applications folder.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 27, 2021 10:07 AM in response to John998L131

Unless your iMac is a Late-2014 model, or later, it cannot upgrade to Big Sur. Otherwise, Big Sur is no longer the default operating system in the Mac App Store once Monterey was released, and you will have a different access model to get it.

Using the Safari browser, visit How to get old versions of macOS, verify that your iMac meets the Big Sur hardware requirements, and if so, then follow the Big Sur link to the Mac App Store, where you can download the full installer to your /Applications folder.

How do I prompt my computer to upgrade to MacOS Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.