You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Monterey Update issue

The package "%@" is missing or invalid Error after download

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 11:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 12:21 PM

I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently have some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 27, 2021 12:21 PM in response to mithesh17

I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently have some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

Nov 20, 2021 12:07 PM in response to mithesh17

Could Malware be causing this problem? If you cannot update your OS, (because of unknown 3rd party software) and keep reverting to previous OS versions, such as Big Sur, then any security fixes in the newest OS version will not be enabled..... hence, loss of security.

I do not wish to be paranoid, but realize that the state sponsored hackers are more active now than in the past. Interfering with necessary OS updates could be intentional.

Nov 20, 2021 3:09 PM in response to harlan209

The developer, Thomas Reed, is a long time contributor to these forums and is a well respected member of the computer security community. He gave a talk on Macs, security and malware at Penn State University a couple of years ago to a security group. Here's a link to the website that will take you to the video: click here.

He started Malwarebytes here in the States and was later bought out an incorporated with the now parent company.

I have no qualms recommending and using Malwarebytes but ultimately it's your call.

Mac OS Monterey Update issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.