You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update an app because the app store says it was bought be a different user --which is a previous user name of my own

Can't update an app because the app store says it was bought be a different user -- which is a previous user name of my own

iMac 24″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 2:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 2:31 PM

Delete and redownload it from your current account, or set up Family Sharing between the two, or contact the iTunes Store staff.

(207267)

3 replies

Oct 30, 2021 7:39 PM in response to srbnyc

I tried the delete/re-download approach on a different app. Although the App Store said it couldn't update because of the wrong Apple ID issue, when I tried to re-download, the app was no longer available in the App Store. Is the "wrong Apple ID" the generic response for the store can't update your app?

Can't update an app because the app store says it was bought be a different user --which is a previous user name of my own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.