You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are my external hard drives not ejecting properly? ⏏

Is it normal for external hard drives to still be visible in Disk Utility after ejecting them? I hit the ⏏ button several times in Disk Utility but the top level for all my external hard drives are still there. All the volumes are unmounted & greyed out.

I had this same issue before I reinstalled the OS. I must be a newb but aren't hard drives supposed to disappear from Disk Utility after ejecting them? I'm worried about damaging the external drives by just unplugging them.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 11:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 11:48 AM

that is completely normal. my catalina boot drive is ejected. it's still physically connected to the iMac. that's why i still "see" it in DU. but in this state it would be safe to physically disconnect the drive if i so desired.

7 replies

Oct 31, 2021 11:50 AM in response to DCarlson93

Is it normal for external hard drives to still be visible in Disk Utility after ejecting them?

Yes because you are not "ejecting" them. In Disk Utility you are unmounting the volumes using the same symbol as the Eject key in the Finder. You can re-mount the unmounted volumes.

I asked them to change the symbol in Disk Utility, but they disagreed with me.

Oct 31, 2021 12:37 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

is it safe to physically disconnect the drive in this state?

Yes. It is essentially the same, but in Disk Utility, you can actually re-mount the volume without disconnecting the drive.

When you eject in the Finder, you have to disconnect the drive and reconnect in order to mount the volume.

If you Eject in the Finder, leave the drive connected, then open Disk Utility, you can Mount the volume(s) again.

I suppose they should really call it "Unmount" in the Finder as nothing is actually ejected like a floppy or optical disk.

Are my external hard drives not ejecting properly? ⏏

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.