You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet Recovery vs Startup Manager - same thing?

Is Internet Recovery and Startup Manager the same thing these days on OSX?

When I reboot with option key, I see only Internet Recovery as an option. But when I simply plug in a bootable installer (https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201372) it shows up next to Internet Recovery (as if internet recovery were a drive).

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 2:59 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Nov 3, 2021 4:14 AM in response to bencn

I'm not sure that I understand. When I use the option key, I see all bootable volumes including any bootable installers. I simply select the volume that I want to boot from. I used the procedure listed in the support article that you reference to create a bootable installer on the USB (the process is more involved if you want to create an bootable installer on an optical disk).

- Pie Lover

Nov 3, 2021 4:30 AM in response to bencn

If booting the computer from a Cold ( OFF ) boot and holding the Option key - on Intel based Computer - will normally offer the Ability to boot from an Internal Drive or as mentioned a Bootable External Drive.

Internet Recovery Mode, again on Intel based computer, will require booting with the three key combination Command + Option + r key - all keys depressed at the sometime.

Internet Recovery Mode will require an Active and Functioning Internet Connection to function. It will offer the ability to Download and Installed the latest version of macOS this computer Qualifies to run.

Nov 4, 2021 4:51 AM in response to bencn

I think that's right. I've only used Internet Recovery once or twice. It came in very useful when a neighbour wanted to use an old Mac AirBook but couldn't login (and didn't have a Time Machine backup).

I also like the idea of keeping around a bootable installer on a USB key or optical disk. This can also be very handy. For example, using the Disk Utility from an older release (Disk Utility seems to have added restrictions in Big Sur and Monterey).

- Pie Lover

Internet Recovery vs Startup Manager - same thing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.