You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No location data in "Significant Location"

Hi, I turned on "Significant Location" for about a month since turning it on is a requirement for "Optimized Battery Charging". However, until now there is still no location data shown(saved) in "Significant Location". I am wondering about what is going on. I am using an iPhone 13 pro max with ios 15.1.

P.S. I am using Google maps. Apple maps app has been deleted form my phone. Maybe I should use apple map?

Thanks a lot.

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 6:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 7:52 AM

VividLasting ,

You're certainly welcome! Thanks for following up with us. We're happy to provide some clarity.

You'll need to download the Maps app in order to see any Significant Location records.

Check out the link below to learn more about how to use Maps on your iPhone:

View maps on iPhone

To download and install Maps again, these links should help:

Apple Maps on the App Store

Redownload apps and games from Apple

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 9, 2021 7:52 AM in response to VividLasting

VividLasting ,

You're certainly welcome! Thanks for following up with us. We're happy to provide some clarity.

You'll need to download the Maps app in order to see any Significant Location records.

Check out the link below to learn more about how to use Maps on your iPhone:

View maps on iPhone

To download and install Maps again, these links should help:

Apple Maps on the App Store

Redownload apps and games from Apple

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Nov 8, 2021 1:48 PM in response to VividLasting

Hi there VividLasting,

We understand you're not seeing any location data for Significant Locations on your iPhone, and you're asking if you should use Apple Maps. We're glad you've taken the time to reach out to us here in Apple Support Communities, and we can provide some guidance.

"The Maps app keeps track of the places you recently visited, as well as when and how often you visited them. Maps uses this information to provide you with personalized services like predictive traffic routing."

With that said, Maps is required in order to see location details for Significant Locations. Have a look at the link below to learn more:

Delete significant locations on iPhone

"If you choose to enable Improve Maps, Apple will collect the GPS coordinates obtained through the Significant Locations feature on your device and correlate them with the street address associated with your Apple ID. This will enable Apple to better approximate the geographic location of that and other addresses." This link provides more information:

Improve Maps & Privacy

Also, you may find the details here helpful:

Control the location information you share on iPhone

We hope this provides some clarity about why you aren't seeing any location information for Significant Locations. Don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any more questions.

Take care!

Nov 9, 2021 7:40 AM in response to Sparks0829

Thanks for your quick reply. Sorry my posted question is not so clear, and it may be confusing.

So, could I interpret what you suggested as the following?

In order to have any record in "Significant Location" and let "Significant Location" to keep track my location data, I need to use apple "Maps" app routinely. If there is no apple "Maps" app installed on my phone, I will not have any "Significant Location" record.

I hope you could clarify it for me. I turned on everything related with the location services and I still cannot have any record in "Significant Location", so I am wondering about what is going on with my phone.

Thanks a lot.

No location data in "Significant Location"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.