You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Freezes Whenever E-Drums are Turned On

Logic started freezing every time i turn my alesis nitro drum kit on. It just started doing this. Using the same computer, hub, and cables that I always use; the exact same setup. The drum kit works fine in garageband with this setup, and I've tested the kit in logic with a different usb midi cable and it still wouldn't work. Tested my spark amp with the same type of cable in logic and had no issues. I've also deleted and reinstalled logic, which didn't work. The only thing i haven't done is delete the sound library, which i'd rather not do unless i absolutely need to. I have no idea what is happening.

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 7:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 5:11 PM

1. With the Alesis off, open Logic, get Logic all set up to record, open the List editor for that track. Record enable the track, hit record.

2. While Logic is recording turn on the Alesis wait a couple of seconds then hit a drum pad, then stop Logic.

Check the list editor and see what if anything is recorded when the Alesis it turned on.

Good troubleshooting in finding a work-around.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 8, 2021 5:11 PM in response to Voddie15

1. With the Alesis off, open Logic, get Logic all set up to record, open the List editor for that track. Record enable the track, hit record.

2. While Logic is recording turn on the Alesis wait a couple of seconds then hit a drum pad, then stop Logic.

Check the list editor and see what if anything is recorded when the Alesis it turned on.

Good troubleshooting in finding a work-around.

Nov 8, 2021 8:23 AM in response to Voddie15

Difficult to help if you don't know if your computer updated or not, folks who use Logic on a regular basis usually have automatic updates turned off. Between MacOS updates and Logic updates we're in a time of great instability. Many MIDI devices have exhibited problems.

Two things to try. Go the the upper Left, Logic Pro menu to Control surfaces, select Bypass All Control Surfaces. Quit Logic, restart the computer, test once again. If the same problem occurs go toy the Same menu and select Preferences, then "Reset All Preferences Except Key Commands. Note: this will undo any preference setting you have changed. You will need to reset your preferences,,,,, I/O buffer, Input/Output device....etc.

Nov 8, 2021 3:23 PM in response to Pancenter

Spoke with apple for about 30 minutes, and was not able to solve the problem. However, after messing around some more, I found that if i turn on the kit and hit a drum pad before using the clicking anything in logic, it wont freeze and will work properly. Only if i hit a drum pad first. If i turn it off and back on and click the computer before hitting a drum pad, it will freeze. Super weird issue; still haven't figured out the problem, but i seem to at least have found a way around it for now.

Nov 8, 2021 6:23 PM in response to Voddie15

The xxx's are System Exclusive... for some reason the Alesis is sending out a System Exclusive dump when you turn it on.

Check the Alesis manual and see if it mentions anything related to System Exclusive.

I think your solution tapping a pad is easiest.However, you can make a further test that can be used on templates and projects. Under the "File" menu, select Project Settings/MIDI/Input filter, check System Exclusive.

Note: Project Settings are not global like Logic's preferences, they are saved with the project and/or template.

Interesting, it's not a MIDI loop but it is similar, a large amount of MIDI info which makes Logic freeze.

this from an online source:

Sysex, or ‘MIDI system exclusive messages’ are a MIDI message type designed to transmit information about specific functions inside a piece of MIDI hardware. In fact, sysex messages are up to the product manufacturer to define. This means that the set of sysex messages a piece of gear can receive is different for every make and model.

Logic Freezes Whenever E-Drums are Turned On

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.