You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spatial audio for iMac M1 24"?

Hello, I see that the specs for the M1 iMac (https://support.apple.com/kb/SP839?locale=en_US) include Spatial audio, but it is not working for me. I'm using an AirPod Pro (which does work with the iPhone). In another discussion, a tech support person implied that it was not available for the M1 iMac (but is for the M1 MacBookPro).

Any help?

Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 4:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 8:44 AM

According to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211775, it’s not supported. Sorry!

7 replies

Nov 10, 2021 7:20 AM in response to DrRick

I have discovered this as well. My new iMac24 will not play Spatial Audio through my AirPods Pros but they do work with my iPhone 12 and iPad Air4. I have spoken tech support and they are looking into this. If you click on the AirPods icon top right of the desktop it shows the Spatial Audio section greyed out. However it works for Apple TV so appears to be an issue in Apple Music? So you're not alone ;-)

Nov 10, 2021 9:45 AM in response to DrRick

For MBP, I would post on the MacBook community forum. As for iMac, the spec seems to suggest it’s supported only when playing Apple Music Dolby Atmos content.

I accept that the specs and bulletins on this topic are sometimes vague and conflicting. Clearly, there’s lots of gotchas to Apple spatial. To me it confirms the product is still in its infancy and hopefully over time, will mature. You may prefer a less laid-back (spatial?) approach, in which case best IMO for you to contact Apple directly. All the best!

Nov 11, 2021 6:07 AM in response to DrRick

Hi Everyone

just a quick update. I had a call back from Apple Tech today stating that the spatial audio head tracking feature is not available on the iMac at this time for music playback. It is however available for things like Apple TV and Video content. Why it should be any different for different formats is a weird one and they couldn't explain that. But as its available on the iPad and iPhone etc there shouldn't be any reason why it won't appear sometime but again they couldn't give me time and if it would. Very strange? Feel a bit ostracised now with my new iMac when all my other hardware can use the feature. Never mind and it least it wasn't me or my new Mac was broken. Cheers!

Spatial audio for iMac M1 24"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.