You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sending sms to a contact, but an unknown person receives it

So I just received my iPhone13 pro max today and its my first iphone ever, always had samsung. I understand iMessage, but i have a problem.

In settings, i enabled "send as sms when imessage is not available" because i know some of my contacts have androids. When i create an imessage for an android user, the arrow and contact name turn green, which i know means its going to send as a sms. But for one contact, as of right now, that i know has an android, it doesn't turn green when i send it to them. I dont really want to turn off the imessage setting completely off because for iphone to iphone i do prefer imessage.

So basically i want to know why for that certain contact it keeps sending as imessage. I tried deleting and recreating the contact and restarting my phone, but it still sends as imessage. So, id be thankful if anyone has a solution to this.

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 1:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 2:02 AM

It will not learn anything. It needs positively de-registering.

Send a message to the unknown person suggesting that if they wish to stop receiving these misplaced messages they should go to Settings, Messages, then turn off iMessage, restart the phone then turn iMessage back on.

Your contact should reach out to Apple Support for further help, if necessary to have their Apple ID deleted if they have no other Apple devices.

here: contact Apple Support

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 10, 2021 2:02 AM in response to j_paramo

It will not learn anything. It needs positively de-registering.

Send a message to the unknown person suggesting that if they wish to stop receiving these misplaced messages they should go to Settings, Messages, then turn off iMessage, restart the phone then turn iMessage back on.

Your contact should reach out to Apple Support for further help, if necessary to have their Apple ID deleted if they have no other Apple devices.

here: contact Apple Support

Nov 9, 2021 4:19 PM in response to LD150

So, when I have iMessage turned on it turns blue, but someone else responds that I don't know. Mutual friends that send that person a text also say that when they send a message someone else responds so they have to turn off iMessage in settings when texting that person. I'm doing that but it gets kind of tedious turn off and on iMessage. So someone on reddit told me they must've had an iPhone before, but this person just bought a new phone (Galaxy s21) and changed their number, so I thought probably the person before had an iPhone still registered on iMessage, so I told them to deregister their number, and they did and they got the code, but still when I text them the message turns blue and the unknown person receives the text. I have other contacts who also have an android but I don't have to turn off iMessage for them. The person on reddit told me to just hold the message and click send as text message and the Messages would just learn that I want to text that person through SMS, but I don't wont to keep bothering that other unknown person who receives my iMessages.

Sending sms to a contact, but an unknown person receives it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.