You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my shift keys are not working. so how can holding down my shift key work when resetting the SMC [no question mark because my shift keys don't work]

my shift keys are not working. so how can holding down my shift key work when resetting the SMC [no question mark because my shift keys don't work]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 3:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 8:12 PM

Which iMac are you using, as you are posting in the macOS High Sierra community I am presuming it is an older iMac.

On desktop macs you do not need to use the Shift key, just power down the mac and remove the power from it for 15 seconds,

Reconnect the power wait 5 seconds and then power up.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Desktop computers

1. Shut down your Mac, then unplug the power cord.
  2. Wait 15 seconds, then plug the power cord back in.
  3. Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

If your Shift keys are not working get a new keyboard.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 12, 2021 8:12 PM in response to ceil7

Which iMac are you using, as you are posting in the macOS High Sierra community I am presuming it is an older iMac.

On desktop macs you do not need to use the Shift key, just power down the mac and remove the power from it for 15 seconds,

Reconnect the power wait 5 seconds and then power up.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Desktop computers

1. Shut down your Mac, then unplug the power cord.
  2. Wait 15 seconds, then plug the power cord back in.
  3. Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

If your Shift keys are not working get a new keyboard.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.