You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID

How do I take off the default Apple ID that was my phone’s previous owner and have my ID as the default?

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 10:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 10:24 AM

Only the previous owner can do that, or Apple. And Apple will only remove the existing holder of Activation Lock when provided with the original purchase receipt showing the serial number, legal paperwork, or similar proof of ownership.

If this follows the usual path for Activation Lock questions posted around here—Activation Lock is intended as a theft deterrent, and is intentionally not easy to bypass—then the seller will have disappeared so no refunds, and you’re now left with a device you’ll be recycling. Yes, recycling. Nobody here can help, and Apple won’t.

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a used iPad/iPhone - Apple Community

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 14, 2021 10:24 AM in response to Genies1960

Only the previous owner can do that, or Apple. And Apple will only remove the existing holder of Activation Lock when provided with the original purchase receipt showing the serial number, legal paperwork, or similar proof of ownership.

If this follows the usual path for Activation Lock questions posted around here—Activation Lock is intended as a theft deterrent, and is intentionally not easy to bypass—then the seller will have disappeared so no refunds, and you’re now left with a device you’ll be recycling. Yes, recycling. Nobody here can help, and Apple won’t.

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a used iPad/iPhone - Apple Community

Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.