You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt 1 cable compatibility

Does anyone know if the thunderbolt 1 vs 2 cable makes a difference for example if I want to connect a thunderbolt 2 device to a thunderbolt 2 port on Mac if I were to use a thunderbolt 1 cable would it be a 10gb or 20gb connection

Mac mini, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 5:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 11:01 AM

You can use the cable - they both use the same connector and wiring.

The main difference between Thunderbolt v1 and v2 is that v1 has two 10gbps channels, whereas the v2 has a single 20gbps channel. If you connect a v1 device then everything past that on the chain will run at 10gbps max, rather than 20gbps, but that still isn't affected by the cable.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 17, 2021 11:01 AM in response to KadeDo

You can use the cable - they both use the same connector and wiring.

The main difference between Thunderbolt v1 and v2 is that v1 has two 10gbps channels, whereas the v2 has a single 20gbps channel. If you connect a v1 device then everything past that on the chain will run at 10gbps max, rather than 20gbps, but that still isn't affected by the cable.

Nov 17, 2021 10:08 AM in response to KadeDo

KadeDo wrote:

Does anyone know if the thunderbolt 1 vs 2 cable makes a difference for example if I want to connect a thunderbolt 2 device to a thunderbolt 2 port on Mac if I were to use a thunderbolt 1 cable would it be a 10gb or 20gb connection

Does the cable match the port ?

About Apple Thunderbolt cables and adapters

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202488

Thunderbolt 1 cable compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.