You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hotspot connection

I've read the other questions and answers on this subject but they all put the onus on the user to find solutions. I've chosen an iPhone and MacBook precisely so I have compatible products. The hotspot connection is rubbish. Why should I have to dig around in system preferences? Why can't apple make it work? Don't they want it to work?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 7:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 7:56 AM

The first line of defense when encountering such issues is to temporarily remove all third party add-ons. The easiest way to do that is to Restart into Safe Mode. Safe Mode does a five-minute disk repair, then loads only a minimal set of Apple-only extensions and invites you to log in. No third-party extension are loaded, so:

"Works in Safe Mode, fails in Regular Mode" implies "It's something you added"

-------

There is some helpful stuff and some obscure stuff that is made available when you hold the option key and click on the Wi-Fi icon on the menubar.

The immediately helpful: wireless diagnostics

The more obscure that I would like to see to help:

screenshot or transcribe the snapshot that appears there. Looks like this older one:

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 17, 2021 7:56 AM in response to Hotspotrubbish

The first line of defense when encountering such issues is to temporarily remove all third party add-ons. The easiest way to do that is to Restart into Safe Mode. Safe Mode does a five-minute disk repair, then loads only a minimal set of Apple-only extensions and invites you to log in. No third-party extension are loaded, so:

"Works in Safe Mode, fails in Regular Mode" implies "It's something you added"

-------

There is some helpful stuff and some obscure stuff that is made available when you hold the option key and click on the Wi-Fi icon on the menubar.

The immediately helpful: wireless diagnostics

The more obscure that I would like to see to help:

screenshot or transcribe the snapshot that appears there. Looks like this older one:

Nov 17, 2021 7:38 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi

Thank you for responding. The first problem is the MacBook failing to see the iPhone, this can be temporary, lasting a few minutes, or it can remain unseen for sometime. The second problem is the MacBook losing connection with the iPhone. I have found a 'solution' to this which is turning off the power saving function on the MacBook. This works but it isn't really satisfactory as it wastes power.

As you can probably tell, I'm not really interested in the technical whys and wherefores, I just want to use it.

Hotspot connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.