You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 2011 15in not opening content of some web pages

I just downgraded from High Sierra to ELCap and my browsers (Chrome, Safari) are not opening some web pages entirely. Just plain pages with blue letters, dead links or missing contents (thumbnails, pictures, videos, preview pics etc.).

I did already update the system.

Any solution for this?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 11:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 12:46 PM

By downgrading from High Sierra to El Capitan, you now have a version of Safari still using the old TLS protocols that most modern websites are blocking as insecure, and the version of JavaScript that Safari supports in El Capitan is far behind what is used on those modern websites, in addition to reduced support for contemporary HTML/CSS support. Even High Sierra is too old for current website support, so I see no resolution with the outdated operating system.

Firefox 94.0.1 has dropped support for El Capitan, and Google Chrome will likely follow later this year or early next.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 17, 2021 12:46 PM in response to RotApfel

By downgrading from High Sierra to El Capitan, you now have a version of Safari still using the old TLS protocols that most modern websites are blocking as insecure, and the version of JavaScript that Safari supports in El Capitan is far behind what is used on those modern websites, in addition to reduced support for contemporary HTML/CSS support. Even High Sierra is too old for current website support, so I see no resolution with the outdated operating system.

Firefox 94.0.1 has dropped support for El Capitan, and Google Chrome will likely follow later this year or early next.

Dec 2, 2021 8:58 AM in response to RotApfel

Well, just today I have found that finding an unshown picture on these web pages and opening it in a new tab (and continue with the permission allowance), then refreshing the web site solves the problem for good. But only for that specific web page.

Sometimes, instead of opening link, just refreshes the web page... Opening link in a new tab is a working workaround.

Not ideal, but acceptable.

MBP 2011 15in not opening content of some web pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.