You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen phone

What can I do with my phone that was stolen? I had no password on it, i'm worried about all my information on it regarding monetary, and personal possessions i.e pictures/videos/card information.

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 4:39 PM

9 replies

Nov 17, 2021 4:58 PM in response to AnthonyYodonise

It locks the phone; if it is locked, no one can access the data on the phone. Also see the following from: Use the Find My app to locate a missing device or item - Apple Support

What happens if you activate Mark As Lost for your device

Mark as Lost remotely locks your missing iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac with a passcode, keeping your information secure even if your device goes missing. You can also display a custom message with your phone number on the Lock screen, and keep track of your device's location. Learn more about how to use Mark as Lost.

Nov 17, 2021 4:56 PM in response to AnthonyYodonise

Note that if it had no screen lock passcode on it, some of your information may already be compromised as whomever stole it could immediately get in and read your emails, texts, contacts, view pictures, etc.

Credit cards would only be compromised if you kept them in plain text somewhere. The iPhone wallet app does not show full card numbers, and the thief could not use them without knowing your AppleID password.

Nov 17, 2021 5:22 PM in response to AnthonyYodonise

Beware that if they turn it back on somewhere it cannot connect to cellular data or WiFi, those commands will not get executed on the device. The commands you set in iCloud only get executed when the device is on and connected to the internet so it can receive those waiting commands.

And if it was a pro thief, they may not have turned it off but just tossed it in a faraday bag to disconnect it (faraday bags are cheap and sold in bulk on eBay and other online sites).

I am just saying that since you did not use a screen lock passcode, entering those commands in iCloud are not a guarantee none of your personal information was not compromised. A lot of smart phone thieves, especially at large public events are looking for smart phones for their data, not the value of the device itself. They take measures to immediately disconnect the device from the network so things like trying to lock it after the fact cannot be completed. They can then access the device later somewhere it cannot connect to the network to extract the data.

Nov 17, 2021 5:26 PM in response to Michael Black

The reason I asked about this situation is the fact they just turned the phone on within the hour, and my phone was sent a notification of exactly where it was. About 3 hours south of me now. It still is operating under my devices and showing it's location, they had it on for s total of maybe 3-5 mins, and it was turned right back off or disconnected.

Stolen phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.