You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Encrypted data password

I am unable to download my most recent backup to my new iphone because the data is encrypted. I do not know the password . Is there any solution?

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 7:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 8:54 PM

If you have created an encrypted back up file on your computer and have forgotten the password, then you will have to either remember it or continue trying (guessing) until you get it. You get unlimited guesses for password in this case.

If you have created a backup file on iCloud, then all iCloud backups are encrypted as well. What you will need is to sign in on our iPhone with the correct Apple ID and its Password associated with that backup.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 18, 2021 8:54 PM in response to Devanna33

If you have created an encrypted back up file on your computer and have forgotten the password, then you will have to either remember it or continue trying (guessing) until you get it. You get unlimited guesses for password in this case.

If you have created a backup file on iCloud, then all iCloud backups are encrypted as well. What you will need is to sign in on our iPhone with the correct Apple ID and its Password associated with that backup.

Axel F.

Encrypted data password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.