You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find my iphone app - location stopped updating 4 hour ago

I left my phone on a bus, i went as soon as i could to my house to track from my computer. I tracked it and it said it was last known to be at a certain location (where i know the bus goes after i was on it), but it was an hour later than the time, so I knew it wasn’t there anymore..its a few hours later and the location and time still hasn’t updated. Why would my phone stop updating its location?

could it be that someone has already powered it down and stolen it, or does it just do that sometimes?

iPhone X

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 6:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 7:02 AM

vinnybob83 wrote:

I left my phone on a bus, i went as soon as i could to my house to track from my computer. I tracked it and it said it was last known to be at a certain location (where i know the bus goes after i was on it), but it was an hour later than the time, so I knew it wasn’t there anymore..its a few hours later and the location and time still hasn’t updated. Why would my phone stop updating its location?

In order to report its location it must have an Internet connection, be powered on, have energy in the battery.

Someone may have found it; did you put it in Lost mode while you could still track it, and display a message on the screen with how to contact you?

See→If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 19, 2021 7:02 AM in response to vinnybob83

vinnybob83 wrote:

In order to report its location it must have an Internet connection, be powered on, have energy in the battery.

Someone may have found it; did you put it in Lost mode while you could still track it, and display a message on the screen with how to contact you?

See→If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

Nov 19, 2021 7:15 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote: "In order to report its location it must have an Internet connection, be powered on,..."

Not so if the iPhone is running iOS 15:

Locate when powered off
Locate your devices using the Find My network for up to 24 hours even after they have been turned off. This can help you locate a missing device that may have been turned off by a thief. [Source: Apple]

õ¿õ¬

Nov 19, 2021 7:27 AM in response to Alancito

True, but that depends on crowd-sourced reports from devices that are nearby (within 30 feet) the lost device and that themselves have the Find My network enabled on the device, so it isn’t all that useful. And if the location doesn’t appear in https://icloud.com/find that would mean that it hasn’t been found by the Find My network of other users.

Find my iphone app - location stopped updating 4 hour ago

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.