You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers Autocomplete between files

Hi there, I love the autocomplete function in a sheet between cells, so when I enter data whether it's text or numbers, I will know if I've entered the same info twice in a sheet.... this is great for invoicing - now my question is, after so many invoices (separate files), there could be duplicates between files and I would like to know if there's a way that when I create a new file (invoice) that autocomplete will continue or show up? so that when I enter data in a new sheet it'll give auto suggestions....is this possible? I can understand that I can create 1 file with many sheets inside - but was wondering if there's a way to have that autocomplete data work across all the files especially when creating a new one (these are all created from a simple custom template btw)

Thank you all in advance for any insight on this!

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 1:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 9:03 AM

Thank you for the reply and sorry for the long delay in following up - i understand what you were trying to do and it could work, but then each time i'd still have to create a new template for the new numbers inputted.... so basically, instead of trying to figure things out - i literally just copy pasted every single table (meaning, every separate file already created) into a new master file if you will, into one very long table..... so in the future, i will just input values into the master file, and then copy out the new inputted data into a new file for actual work :)

In this way, any future entries will always autocomplete and eradicate possible duplicates

Thanks for the help and suggestion! Ultimately was on a phone with a friend about this last night, and as i was voicing it out loud, it helped me figure out what i could do - and it works great :)

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 9, 2021 9:03 AM in response to Barry

Thank you for the reply and sorry for the long delay in following up - i understand what you were trying to do and it could work, but then each time i'd still have to create a new template for the new numbers inputted.... so basically, instead of trying to figure things out - i literally just copy pasted every single table (meaning, every separate file already created) into a new master file if you will, into one very long table..... so in the future, i will just input values into the master file, and then copy out the new inputted data into a new file for actual work :)

In this way, any future entries will always autocomplete and eradicate possible duplicates

Thanks for the help and suggestion! Ultimately was on a phone with a friend about this last night, and as i was voicing it out loud, it helped me figure out what i could do - and it works great :)

Nov 19, 2021 2:04 PM in response to emanoyhl

I wasn't sure if I worded my question correctly, so here's more to clarify....

basically, weekly I create a new invoice from a template that I have created, and I enter data..... there is unique data in a specific column so let's say I get to line 28 and the first few characters match previous data, it'll autocomplete - so I like this because it lets me know if I'm entering duplicate data - so the question is is when I create a new invoice and start entering data, of course being a new file, there's no data to autocomplete, is it possible for all my previous invoices this specific data be available as an autocomplete on new invoices so when I start at line 1 of new invoice, entering data it'll show if I've entered this data already from a few months ago (many files ago)? thank you again! :)

Nov 19, 2021 4:08 PM in response to emanoyhl

The autocomplete feature searches only cells in the same column of the same table as you are working on.

You could, I suppose, create a document with all of the data items listed in cells in the row in which you will be entering them, then hiding those rows.

Save that document as a template, then try creating a new document from the new template. The resulting document should still contain the entries you made before saving it as a template, and these may still be hidden as the document is opened.

It won't tell you when you last entered each value, as the document doesn't have that information, but if it follows expectations, it will provide auto complete on data saved in the template.

Regards,

Barry

NOTE: Have NOT tested this process.

B.

Numbers Autocomplete between files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.