You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finding files has never been hard on a Mac until I got OS12

I suppose there are several ways to search for a file on a Mac, the one I've use for decades is; I open a Finder window and in the upper right hand corner is an area where I can search. I almost never search for contents of a file, but rather I am searching for file names ONLY.

Starting with OS 12, when I type something I'm searching for there's a choice that reads "filename". However, "filename" is dimmed, and I cannot select it. How do I go about searching for filenames ONLY?

Thanks

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 7:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 8:17 PM

Well, I guess that's it. I only got "contains ABCXYZ" which then selects name: ABCXYZ. I don't have to choose between filename and everything, but the options are there.

If you enter "name: ABCXYZ" it will get there faster.

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 20, 2021 7:47 PM in response to Barney-15E

OK, I think I've got it, but it works in a very weird way to me. Let me tell you what happens and you can see if this is "normal".

Searching for a file that I know exists. I enter "ABCXYZ" immediately below the search window it reads "filename" (dimmed) I then get a list of documents that contain "ABCXYZ". If I drill down a bit and click on "contains" "ABCXYZ" I am then presented with a choice "filename" or "everything". I select "filename" and I finally get the search that I'm after, showing me only the filenames of my search.

Finding files has never been hard on a Mac until I got OS12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.