You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i use the new i mac as a second screen for my mac book pro?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 8:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 8:23 AM

No, Macs are computers they are not external displays for other devices. Please read Target Display Mode.

If your MBP needs an external display, please buy one. This is the most reliable, easiest and least expensive (does not require very expensive cables) method. You can easily find external displays for about $100-$150.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 22, 2021 8:23 AM in response to TB418

No, Macs are computers they are not external displays for other devices. Please read Target Display Mode.

If your MBP needs an external display, please buy one. This is the most reliable, easiest and least expensive (does not require very expensive cables) method. You can easily find external displays for about $100-$150.

Dec 21, 2021 11:07 AM in response to rkaufmann87

That would be very silly. Why have two Macs if they can't even talk with each other and cooperate or complement each other.

This can't be right. You can connect the two screens, via the apple menu (in the upper right corner, it looks like two batterylife icons on top of each other).

But there is one strange thing: if I mirror the screen of either computer - either one shows only a very tiny version of the other's screen. So they can cooperate, but apparently not that well (or I am doing something wrong - but then I find it strange that I don't get a notification or suggestion on how to do it properly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.