You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scroll isn't recognized in games with shift being held

It's ridiculous that hasn't been addressed. If Apple wants anyone to take the Mac seriously for games, even casual ones, we need a way of circumventing this problem. Holding shift is pretty much the default for "sprint" in most games.

I assume this has do with the "horizontal scroll" feature of MacOS that simply isn't being recognized. This includes native games, Stadia, GeForceNow etc. There simply needs to be a way to disable it, so the scroll wheel reports normal scroll wheel behavior when holding shift.

This has been an ongoing problem for a long time and I haven't seen any good solutions for it. I'm on a Logitech Pro mouse, but I've seen Razer users complain, and others as well. Ideally just a quick terminal command would be best but the ones I've seen don't work.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 8:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 9:48 AM

It's not an issue with games so much as with the OS. Shift-scroll is baked into MacOS to be horizontal scroll and we can't change it afaik. A mouse in Mac is sending a "scroll left/right" instead of "scroll up/down" when you do the chorded input of shift+scroll. If there's nothing to scroll horizontally apps ignore it. You can even Apples own apps own apps ignoring it when there is nothing to horizontally scroll. Open up Apple Notes or Safari with own horizontal scroll bars and shift-scroll, nothing happens. The OS or apps do not know to revert back to "normal scroll" when horizontal content is available.

And no games to my knowledge allow for chorded inputs, because the moment you click shift (or ctrl, option, etc) in key binds, in literally ANY game, by necessity it needs to recognize it as that key. Again, left shift is the defacto "sprint" key in nearly every game. No app dev is doing to change that well-established behavior.

You're trying to pass the buck to App Devs instead of answering my question. How do I disable horizontal scroll in OS? That would likely solve the problem.

EDIT: OMG. @Corrie84 I accidentally clicked "Helpful" on your post, and it most definitely was NOT, but I cannot change it back. Annoying, terrible UX. New question, how do I undo that? It didn't solve my problem at all.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 23, 2021 9:48 AM in response to Corrie84

It's not an issue with games so much as with the OS. Shift-scroll is baked into MacOS to be horizontal scroll and we can't change it afaik. A mouse in Mac is sending a "scroll left/right" instead of "scroll up/down" when you do the chorded input of shift+scroll. If there's nothing to scroll horizontally apps ignore it. You can even Apples own apps own apps ignoring it when there is nothing to horizontally scroll. Open up Apple Notes or Safari with own horizontal scroll bars and shift-scroll, nothing happens. The OS or apps do not know to revert back to "normal scroll" when horizontal content is available.

And no games to my knowledge allow for chorded inputs, because the moment you click shift (or ctrl, option, etc) in key binds, in literally ANY game, by necessity it needs to recognize it as that key. Again, left shift is the defacto "sprint" key in nearly every game. No app dev is doing to change that well-established behavior.

You're trying to pass the buck to App Devs instead of answering my question. How do I disable horizontal scroll in OS? That would likely solve the problem.

EDIT: OMG. @Corrie84 I accidentally clicked "Helpful" on your post, and it most definitely was NOT, but I cannot change it back. Annoying, terrible UX. New question, how do I undo that? It didn't solve my problem at all.

Nov 23, 2021 8:38 AM in response to Jeffrey Swartz

Hello Jeffrey Swartz,

It sounds like the scroll functions of you mouse are not working when holding down the Shift key whole playing games. Does this issue occur in all apps (including native apps like Safari), or does it only happen in the games you're playing? If it only happens in specific games you are playing you would need to reach out to the app developers to see if there are any options within the game to adjust your mouse settings: How to contact an app developer.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care.

Scroll isn't recognized in games with shift being held

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.