You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am being asked for an administrator name and password. To alllow my computer to update

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 5:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 6:25 PM

If you own your own computer, when you first power it up when it is brand new, you are asked to create a local Username, and a password to go with it. If you are the first or only user on your computer, this will be the Admin username and password.

This Admin username and password are not related to any email names, web site names, or any Apple-ID names you may have. Because it is strictly local, this Admin name allows you to log in and make Major changes whether you are connected to the Internet or not.

This Admin name is the name being asked for in the dialog box you are showing. It is extremely unlikely to resemble what you typed in the box.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 22, 2021 6:25 PM in response to Mikechavez01

If you own your own computer, when you first power it up when it is brand new, you are asked to create a local Username, and a password to go with it. If you are the first or only user on your computer, this will be the Admin username and password.

This Admin username and password are not related to any email names, web site names, or any Apple-ID names you may have. Because it is strictly local, this Admin name allows you to log in and make Major changes whether you are connected to the Internet or not.

This Admin name is the name being asked for in the dialog box you are showing. It is extremely unlikely to resemble what you typed in the box.

Nov 22, 2021 7:18 PM in response to RosaAlba

If you insist on it, AND you have a good internet connection, your Mac can allow the use of your Apple-ID as an emergency login ID.

But Apple-ID was never intended for software update, and does not work for installing software, and was only really intended as alternate logon for emergencies. Also if your internet connection is not good, the Apple-ID password can not be verified, so Apple-ID for login does not work AT ALL.

I am being asked for an administrator name and password. To alllow my computer to update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.