You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't convert Iphoto Library on External Drive to Photos

Hello, I held off updating to Monterey, but now that I've done it, I no longer have access to Iphoto.

I have several large Iphoto libraries on external drives that I want to use in Photos, but when I try to open them in Photos, the conversion stalls generally when the progress bar gets to about 9%. I have successfully opened an Iphoto library in Photos that was on my hard drive, but I don't have space on the hard drive to move the libraries from external drive and open that way. Any suggestions short of going back to an earlier IOS? Is there away of just importing the photos into Photos, rather than converting the libraries?

Second question: On the library that I did successfully convert that was on the hard drive, none of the videos in the new Photos library had thumbnails. The videos are there, but in the Photos library they just display with a blank, back square Any ideas?

Thanks

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 1:14 AM

3 replies

Nov 23, 2021 1:38 AM in response to abdroma13

What format is that external drive? It needs to be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS and it needs to be directly connected to the Mac - i.e. USB or Thunderbolt connection - and not on a network share, such as a NAS.

Making a slight change to the videos will force the app to recreate the thumbnail. You can then revert the change.

Nov 23, 2021 4:33 AM in response to Yer_Man

It's formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and connected by USB cable directly to the Mac. I'm trying now from an external hard drive I had and it appears to be working, but It's about 5 hours in to opening up an 85gb library. Not sure if it will successfully finish or not. I'm hoping there is a better way to do this as I have a few large, old libraries I want to open and check on.

Can't convert Iphoto Library on External Drive to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.