You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple celebrates 10 years of Apple Pay. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pay Fraudulent Transactions

Our bank recently took a large loss for Apple Pay that was set-up on a device. The token that was fraudulently used was token# ***

If someone has card information that is not theirs and enters it in their iPhone, would the verification text be sent to their iPhone number or would it be sent to the cardholders phone number on file for the debit card? 

Is there a way to tell how this token was authenticated via text message, email, or by the bank? 

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 2:10 PM

3 replies

Nov 23, 2021 2:24 PM in response to aldsjf

Here is the 1st (of two) articles - from Apple’s Security Platform Guide - which you might find useful:

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/security/sec0f005981a/web

Bottom line is that the “decision to provision” is made by the card issuer.

Most of my own cards are pretty “easy” … but one bank ALWAYS requires that I call them and “authenticate” BEFORE they provision / re-provision their card into my mobile wallet.

Apple Pay Fraudulent Transactions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.