You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine keeps backing up an excluded external SSD

I do not want my external SSD (APFS formatted) to be backed up.

After excluding it (it is listed in the excluded items) TM still makes backups of it.

My iMac 24" runs on Big Sur v. 11.6.1

How can I fix this.

Thank you for your time

Hans

iMac 24″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 1:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 7:10 AM

I think I figured it out. After deleting some of the images on the external SSD where I store my photos, I activated Time Machine and I noticed that those files were gone. Also there is no way going back in time. So what I am looking at actually in the first window of the activated TM is just the complete content of the external HD that I have excluded from TM.

Thans to everyone for the provided comments.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 26, 2021 7:10 AM in response to Vynki

I think I figured it out. After deleting some of the images on the external SSD where I store my photos, I activated Time Machine and I noticed that those files were gone. Also there is no way going back in time. So what I am looking at actually in the first window of the activated TM is just the complete content of the external HD that I have excluded from TM.

Thans to everyone for the provided comments.

Nov 24, 2021 7:47 PM in response to Vynki

Greetings, Vynki. 

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! We understand that you’re attempting to exclude your external hard drive from your Time Machine backup. We’d be delighted to offer some insight.

Is the external drive the same drive that you’re using for the backup? If it is, this drive should automatically be excluded. 

If not, note that excluded items will still appear in your local snapshots, but shouldn’t appear in the physical Time Machine backup.

This article explains:

Exclude files from a Time Machine backup on Mac - Apple Support

All Our Best.

Nov 25, 2021 4:35 AM in response to Ali_E1

Hi Alicia

Time Machine Back up is located on another drive. My Photo Drive that I excludedIt does not seem to appear in the physical Time Machine Drive. But when I activate TM I can see the folders and files that are part of my Photo drive. It is even possible to copy each individual image Raffle. I tried to make a screenshot but Shift + Command + 4 does not work when TM is activated.

I can send you though a screenshot from the excluded items and from the contents of the physical Time Machine drive.

Does this makes sense to you?

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Hans

Time Machine keeps backing up an excluded external SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.