You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I was given a phone and when i try to use it its activation locked i have no way of getting a hold of the previous owner

How. Can i use this or get a hold of past owner

iPhone 6

Posted on Nov 25, 2021 6:06 AM

5 replies

Dec 5, 2021 6:15 AM in response to YourDaddyKen

There is a path to gain access if someone has passed away, but you have to be a family member.

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts - Apple Support

Apple doesn't need to rethink anything about their 'solution when it comes to people obtaining a used phone'

Those people simply need to educate themselves better and make sure that the iPhone they are obtaining has been properly reset. Activation lock is a theft deterrent. Making that process easier or able to be circumvented will only make iPhones a more appealing thing to steal.

I know that may be a harsh thing to hear, especially if you are new to iOS devices. But it's reality.

Whenever purchasing a used iPhone, the previous owner needs to go thru this procedure.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Then you should never purchase a used iPhone (or iPad) unless it's from a reputable place that you could return it to if something is wrong.. or you have personally laid eyes on the device and it powers on to the Hello screen in assorted languages.

If you don't have the activation lock credentials, as I said, you will not be able to use the iPhone. Nothing to do with anyone being naive.

Dec 5, 2021 4:18 AM in response to Chris0107

Well lets just say im trying to go about this the right way. Apple says try togeta holdof the owner buthe died from covid so there is no way to get help from the previous owner.

Or havea proof of purchase well how is that going to work if Im not the one who actually bought it.

Appen needs to rethink about their solution when it comes to people obtaining a used phone.

But when you say there is no way to use the phone? Not everyone is naive I will jump on the server tonorrow and change things myself.

Thanks for the guidance

I was given a phone and when i try to use it its activation locked i have no way of getting a hold of the previous owner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.