You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible way to see password as being typed on macOS and iOS?

Apple defaults are set not to show passwords as typed. Designed for coffee shop sign-ins and adolescents, I assume. Some website allow option to Show Password, but otherwise Apple default is not to show. 

Particularly hard for me on iPhone. I see the letter I typed for a second or 2 if I remember to look up from keyboard to password. Moments later, just see the ubiquitous dots.  I'm old. I make mistakes typing. On text I get to see what I typed and correct. Only on passwords do I have to hit Enter, to find if made mistake, and usually must reenter both email and password. I don’t have anyone reading over my shoulder. I don't need or want to hide the passwords from myself. 

I'm afraid I know the answer, but is there any way to change default on macOS and iOS from Hide to Show?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 25, 2021 7:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2021 8:10 AM

The means to display the password text instead of the input encryption characters is not available unless Apple designed the password interface with a check box enabling you to switch the feature.

You can send direct feedback to the macOS Product team.

11 replies

Nov 25, 2021 12:58 PM in response to PRP_53

Agree, anything posted on iCloud is equally vulnerable. so, I keep it backup-sync of photos, music, and previous audiobooks (not new Books).

My Contacts had nothing to do with Google. Have used Apple alone for 30 years. And from similar posts about Contacts on iCloud doubling contacts, I believe problem is in iCloud.

but again, why are we forced to jump through any hoops at all to choose to see passwords we ourselves type?

Nov 25, 2021 8:36 AM in response to ArmandoWyo

Am oldish and eye sight is not always that clear.

Have enabled Keychain in iCloud on all devices including the iPhone 12 mini.

Whenever on Safari on the iPhone and need a Password that is in Keychain on iCloud - lower region of iPhone >> Safari a pop up from Lower region of iPhone will appear WITH the Appropriate User Name and Password.

No typing required.

Food for thought.

Nov 25, 2021 11:23 AM in response to ArmandoWyo

ArmandoWyo wrote:

Apple defaults are set not to show passwords as typed. Designed for coffee shop sign-ins and adolescents, I assume. Some website allow option to Show Password, but otherwise Apple default is not to show. 

Particularly hard for me on iPhone. I see the letter I typed for a second or 2 if I remember to look up from keyboard to password. Moments later, just see the ubiquitous dots.  I'm old. I make mistakes typing. On text I get to see what I typed and correct. Only on passwords do I have to hit Enter, to find if made mistake, and usually must reenter both email and password. I don’t have anyone reading over my shoulder. I don't need or want to hide the passwords from myself. 

I'm afraid I know the answer, but is there any way to change default on macOS and iOS from Hide to Show?

Thanks.

Passwd in the clear is not going to happen.

However you can see all your psswds in the Keychain Access.app—ironically it requires your < ***** psswd****> to show in the clear on the Mac.

ref: Keychain Access User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

There should be very few instances were you are required to manually enter a psswd.

Security and your Apple ID - Apple Support

Nov 25, 2021 11:49 AM in response to ArmandoWyo

ArmandoWyo wrote:

Keychain works on macOS, although several steps. Not as simple at all with iOS. I can look up password, memorize it, and then try to enter, reading every keystroke for a second, and hope for best. so much easier if I HAD THE OPTION, to say Show Password. Really I'd like to hear why I can't have that choice.

I can not speak for Apple—

you can call them Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753) if you want to drill down on your "why."

You also have the option to contact the corporate office https://www.apple.com/contact/

Nov 25, 2021 9:43 AM in response to ArmandoWyo

ArmandoWyo wrote:

sounds like a work-around if I didn't have an iCloud-phobia. Contacts still slow and mostly spinning ball b/c iCloud doubled and then tripled all my contacts. My use of iCloud is limited, but I would not trust Cloud with my KeyChain.

Can not help with that iCloud-phobia as it is not a Technical Issue.

The beach balling of contacts and 2x and 3x of contacts is or might be a Configuration issue caused by a combination of iCloud and Third Party source of the Contacts. Often time associated with Google Contacts.

Personally - Keychain in iCloud and not trust. Fair but . . . If using iCloud at all and have issues with security - then anything stored on iCloud becomes fair game.

Nov 25, 2021 10:46 AM in response to ArmandoWyo

I tend to use long, complicated passwords. For those that have not been memorized via muscle memory, I keep an obscure RTF file on my drive which I can search from the Terminal, if I don't care to open it with TextEdit.

egrep -C5 Google ~/Documents/_____.rtf

That exposes the searched name, and the five subsequent lines that contain an entry for the password text, which I copy and paste into the password field that requires it.

Possible way to see password as being typed on macOS and iOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.