You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are relocated items after restoring the Mac?

I had to restore my mini and a folder 'relocated items' appeared. What are these items in the folder and can they be deleted or do I need to do something else with them?

Mac mini, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 5:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 7:12 AM

See also: If a Relocated Items folder appears on your Mac after upgrading macOS - Apple Support

The "Relocated Items" has only been interesting after the Catalina upgrade, when the new read-only system volume has been introduced and user files, for example configuration files, (or files created by applications) stored on the read-only system volume needed removal to an area, where the users could read and write. For sucessive system upgrades to newer system versions I found nothing interesting these folders.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 26, 2021 7:12 AM in response to farrier1

See also: If a Relocated Items folder appears on your Mac after upgrading macOS - Apple Support

The "Relocated Items" has only been interesting after the Catalina upgrade, when the new read-only system volume has been introduced and user files, for example configuration files, (or files created by applications) stored on the read-only system volume needed removal to an area, where the users could read and write. For sucessive system upgrades to newer system versions I found nothing interesting these folders.

What are relocated items after restoring the Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.