You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos on iCloud

I have about 40000 photos on my iMac! These are not stored or backed up on iCloud but on an external drive. Is it feasible to move so many photos to iCloud (recognising I’ll need to pay for a lot of storage!)? Might it be better to move the older ones to an external drive and just move some (albeit still a lot!) to the cloud? One reason I ask is because I intend to buy a new iMac or MacBook and the storage capacity in these devices is now less than the 1TB in my 2016 iMac (of which I am using almost 600GB).

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 10:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 3:37 PM

Hi - this is my strategy for a similar situation

I run two libraries. I pay for 200GB of iCloud, and have a "main" library holding all my recent photos, that is synced with iCloud and resides on my system drive. All these photos are available on all my devices. Currently I have 1 1/2 years of photographs there, taking up less than half of my iCloud space. (This dual library strategy is equally valid if you don't use iCloud but just want a smaller local library stored on your mac)

I also have an archive library which holds everything older. It is on a separate drive (correctly formatted and prepared - see link below). I use powerphotos to periodically copy photos from my main library to my archive library.

I am very very rigorous about backups. Both libraries are backed up to time machine. In addition both libraries are regularly copied to a second external drive. Finally I periodically export all original images (so that I have the actual image files separately from the photos library) and copy those to a network drive backup. I have a copy of these stored away from home also (mitigate risk of fire/theft).

To split the library the first time, take an archive copy of the whole library. If you store it on an external volume it must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) and be on a directly connected drive (USB or Thunderbolt - no network or wifi connection)

Then on your non archive library synced with iCloud delete older images, keeping only the number of new images that will fit into half (or less) of your iCloud space (to give space for new images)

For moving to external drive see

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Pay particular attention to the requirements for the external drive, including the required format.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 27, 2021 3:37 PM in response to Peakwolf

Hi - this is my strategy for a similar situation

I run two libraries. I pay for 200GB of iCloud, and have a "main" library holding all my recent photos, that is synced with iCloud and resides on my system drive. All these photos are available on all my devices. Currently I have 1 1/2 years of photographs there, taking up less than half of my iCloud space. (This dual library strategy is equally valid if you don't use iCloud but just want a smaller local library stored on your mac)

I also have an archive library which holds everything older. It is on a separate drive (correctly formatted and prepared - see link below). I use powerphotos to periodically copy photos from my main library to my archive library.

I am very very rigorous about backups. Both libraries are backed up to time machine. In addition both libraries are regularly copied to a second external drive. Finally I periodically export all original images (so that I have the actual image files separately from the photos library) and copy those to a network drive backup. I have a copy of these stored away from home also (mitigate risk of fire/theft).

To split the library the first time, take an archive copy of the whole library. If you store it on an external volume it must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) and be on a directly connected drive (USB or Thunderbolt - no network or wifi connection)

Then on your non archive library synced with iCloud delete older images, keeping only the number of new images that will fit into half (or less) of your iCloud space (to give space for new images)

For moving to external drive see

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Pay particular attention to the requirements for the external drive, including the required format.

Photos on iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.