You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the Apple ID have to be an email address? I assume it needs an email address noted for the ID, BUT does the Apple ID need to actually BE an email address?

Does the Apple ID have to be an email address? I assume it needs an email address noted for the ID, BUT does the Apple ID need to actually BE an email address?

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 5:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 12:46 PM

Hello notheapp,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand you'd like to confirm if an email address is a requirement for an Apple ID. We can help provide you additional information.

For users that are in China mainland, it says: "In China mainland, you might be required to provide a +86 phone number for your Apple ID. You can change the number later, or change your country or region to a location that doesn't require it. This number is only used for verification purposes." That information is outlined here: How to create a new Apple ID

Now if you do not reside in China mainland, an email address is needed as the Apple ID account to access Apple services like the App Store, Apple Music, iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime, and more. Here's more information: Where can I use my Apple ID?

Kind regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 28, 2021 12:46 PM in response to notheapp

Hello notheapp,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand you'd like to confirm if an email address is a requirement for an Apple ID. We can help provide you additional information.

For users that are in China mainland, it says: "In China mainland, you might be required to provide a +86 phone number for your Apple ID. You can change the number later, or change your country or region to a location that doesn't require it. This number is only used for verification purposes." That information is outlined here: How to create a new Apple ID

Now if you do not reside in China mainland, an email address is needed as the Apple ID account to access Apple services like the App Store, Apple Music, iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime, and more. Here's more information: Where can I use my Apple ID?

Kind regards.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.