You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I get 4K HD picture AND Atmos Sound with if Soundbar has HDMI ARC output to TV?

Apple: "Apple TV 4K uses a high bandwidth form of Dolby Atmos that doesn’t work over ARC connections." If a Soundbar has HDMI Passthrough with HDM-In port but HDMI-Out port is labeled ARC/eARC, will 4K HD video be displayed on TV Screen AND Dolby Atmos sound file from Apple TV be played by the Soundbar?

IOW, does any reference to ARC/eARC on HDMI-Out port disqualify a Soundbar from passing HiDef TV images to the screen?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 11:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 8:07 PM

Apple TV 4K →[HDMI]→ TV →[HDMI ARC]→ soundbar will not give you Dolby Atmos from Apple TV.

Apple TV 4K →[HDMI]→ TV →[HDMI eARC]→ soundbar can give you Dolby Atmos from Apple TV.

Apple TV 4K →[HDMI]→ soundbar →[HDMI (e)ARC]→ TV can give you Dolby Atmos from Apple TV.

The ARC/eARC distinction in the support document relates to passthrough of the audio through the TV. If the TV has ARC (not eARC), then Dolby Atmos from Apple TV cannot be send through by lack of available bandwidth.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 28, 2021 8:07 PM in response to ebuyguy

Apple TV 4K →[HDMI]→ TV →[HDMI ARC]→ soundbar will not give you Dolby Atmos from Apple TV.

Apple TV 4K →[HDMI]→ TV →[HDMI eARC]→ soundbar can give you Dolby Atmos from Apple TV.

Apple TV 4K →[HDMI]→ soundbar →[HDMI (e)ARC]→ TV can give you Dolby Atmos from Apple TV.

The ARC/eARC distinction in the support document relates to passthrough of the audio through the TV. If the TV has ARC (not eARC), then Dolby Atmos from Apple TV cannot be send through by lack of available bandwidth.

Nov 29, 2021 3:13 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you for taking time to respond. I learned that eARC overcomes the bandwidth limitations of ARC. It makes sends to me that Apple TV 4K →[HDMI]→ soundbar would give you Dolby Atmos sound from the soundbar. I like my LG OLED 4K TV but it has no HDMI Out ports. Is it reasonable to expect that any soundbar with HDMI passthrough ports would pass 4K HD picture quality to the TV?

Nov 30, 2021 12:06 AM in response to ebuyguy

I like my LG OLED 4K TV but it has no HDMI Out ports.

Except ARC/eARC. Just like any other TV.

Is it reasonable to expect that any soundbar with HDMI passthrough ports would pass 4K HD picture quality to the TV?

You would have to check the specification/manual from the manufacturer. 4K content requires HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 or higher ports. I think it is reasonable to expect that for current models.

Dec 5, 2021 11:28 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Urquhart1244, Thanks again for your responses. I'm confused about your comment that my LG TV has an ARC/eARC port that is an HDMI Out. The entire bank of 3 HDMI ports on the side plane of my LG TV is labeled "HDMI IN". The middle port is labeled 2(ARC). In the back plane of the TV there is a 4th HDMI port, also labeled HDMI In. So is HDMI(ARC) an output by definition in spite of being in a bank of HDMI In ports?

Can I get 4K HD picture AND Atmos Sound with if Soundbar has HDMI ARC output to TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.