You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2020 M1 MACBOOK PRO TRACKPAD SCROLLING ISSUE (LAGS)

13" M1 MacBook Pro Trackpad does not scroll smoothly or as fast as my older MacBook Pros.

Trackpad scrolling extremely LAGS in all windows, including Safari and Logic Pro

Tried using older Apple USB Mouse NO PROBLEM, scrolling works just fine, as anticipated.

The same Trackpad Scrolling Issue has persisted since Big Sur and now in Monterey macOS.

Using an Apple External Trackpad does not fix the Trackpad Scrolling issue, still lags.

Turned Off all Trackpad features and restarted M! MacBook Pro, Trackpad issue persists after restart and resetting my Trackpad Preferences.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

srfella

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 3:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 6:55 AM

srfella,

It appears that you notice your trackpad performance is slow on your MacBook Pro, which has been happening since macOS Big Sur. You've taken some great steps with your MacBook Pro already. To isolate the issue further you can also start up your MacBook Pro in a new user: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac A new user doesn't have custom or changed settings, and can help determine possible next steps.

Another step is to start up in safe mode and test to see if the issue happens there too. Safe mode only allows certain software to load, which can help isolate this further. You can read more about that here: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Let us know how those steps go.

Best wishes to you.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 1, 2021 6:55 AM in response to srfella

srfella,

It appears that you notice your trackpad performance is slow on your MacBook Pro, which has been happening since macOS Big Sur. You've taken some great steps with your MacBook Pro already. To isolate the issue further you can also start up your MacBook Pro in a new user: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac A new user doesn't have custom or changed settings, and can help determine possible next steps.

Another step is to start up in safe mode and test to see if the issue happens there too. Safe mode only allows certain software to load, which can help isolate this further. You can read more about that here: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Let us know how those steps go.

Best wishes to you.

Dec 26, 2021 3:22 PM in response to srfella

Hey there! I'm having a similar issue as well. Per a senior Mac advisor I spoke with today, this is a known issue and engineering has opened an incident for this problem as of 09/28. Issue is related to the M1 chip on some computers. Sucks that such an expensive computer is rendered pretty much useless.

There is no ETA on when Apple will fix this issue. Given that it's been out for more than 1 year, I'd expect that there's no fix going to be coming out anytime soon. I asked if I could get a replacement computer and was told that the issue persists for replacing computers for the users who reported the issue. They told me that they've added me to a support incident that they have opened for this issue. Call them to let them know that you'd like to get added to that incident. It's the only way we'll be able to get this issue resolved.

Feb 11, 2022 2:44 AM in response to srfella

Here’s my Trackpad Scrolling Lag Fix! I’m no expert but this finally fixed my M1 Trackpad Issue. Your Trackpad Fix might be altogether different or slightly different or no similarity at all.

NOTE: It’s been a few months so to the best of my recollection here’s what did it for me:

In System Preferences / Accesibility / Pointer Control /

Mouse & Trackpad tab / Trackpad Options

- Select Scrolling / Select with Inertia / Select without intertia

Click Ok

Now try it again except this time select “with inertia” then OK.

At some point this worked for me… It fixed my Trackpad Scrolling Lag issues and the “reset” seems to be permanent.

2020 M1 MACBOOK PRO TRACKPAD SCROLLING ISSUE (LAGS)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.