You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not charging properly when laptop powered off

MacBook Pro 2021 M1 Pro 16" charging issue when laptop is off: https://youtu.be/i27bBTJOBXU

Charger behaves as if being constantly disconnected and reconnected every few seconds. Stops when computer is powered on.

Is there a fix for this?

MacBook Pro 16″, 12.0

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 6:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 6:02 PM

Users report that it worked fine on MacOS 12.0, but the 12.0.1 update caused the new Bad Behavior.

You are welcome to exchange any Apple brand stuff you bought within 14 days for a new one, but you will gain nothing because it is not a lemon.

11 replies

Dec 5, 2021 6:06 AM in response to froggiefingaz

froggiefingaz wrote:

MacBook Pro 2021 M1 Pro 16" charging issue when laptop is off: https://youtu.be/i27bBTJOBXU

Charger behaves as if being constantly disconnected and reconnected every few seconds. Stops when computer is powered on.

Is there a fix for this?

Another work a round is use the USBC charging...

It is a known issue— I would expect a point update to Monterey 12.0.1 to sort the issue....

You can file a bug report using the same link here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

Dec 5, 2021 6:51 PM in response to iburdeinick

That's interesting that it was an OS bug. I experienced a lot of those with this machine.

Apple support always asks ARE YOU ON THE NEWEST VERSION????? But then we introduce even more problems by upgrading. This is why I updated to 12.0.1 because newest is ALWAYS best... right? (It solved exactly zero of the issues I was experiencing).

I actually returned mine as well. But this was probably the smallest on a very long list of issues I had with the OS - especially when it came to a similar category of problem: the OS not working well with the hardware, most notably with the notch.

I wouldn't call yours a lemon, iburdeinick. It sounds like Apple is pushing forward too fast without making sure the software is stable. Later in the OS' life it'll probably be much more solid and if I ever do attempt an upgrade in hardware I'll wait much longer for the software to mature first.

Keeping my 2019 i9 instead. I found that after two weeks of testing, the upgrade was not worth the hassle. The "old" 2019 charges fine now that the entire logic board was replaced including the (defective from day one) USB C ports and has a rectangular screen. Rectangular screens are very underrated...at least until the software catches up with the hardware.

Dec 5, 2021 7:33 PM in response to froggiefingaz

Thanks for your reply Froggiefingaz.

It could be a software issue, if so then why aren't any fixes yet? If the previous OS was working fine.

What I've gathered is that apparently the power supply/magsafe interface has a problem, as users have changed the power supply/or cable for a USB and solved the issue, as reported on the internet. Makes me wonder why are users saying it is a code problem when there is obviously a hardware component. It can also be something more than just that, who knows., I certainly don't. That is why I'm returning it and waiting to not have the same issue.

Best

Not charging properly when laptop powered off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.