You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New SSD Startup external disk. Acting weird and apparently slow.

Hello helpers :)

I am having this issue with this iMac.

I installed an external SSD that I use as startup disk, since the inside HD was failing.

Now I tried to change the desktop background with a dynamic picture (dark at night and light during the day) but it didn't change, it stayed solid gray. I Am able to see that something is happening because the top bar only was changing with the background picture I was selecting (that's the menu bar, jay that little string).

Also seems like every time I reboot it iCloud is not connected and I have to put the password again.

I decided to run EtreCheck (I used it to find out that the internal HD was failing so I decided to give it a try) It says I have a major problem, hard drive too slow. Did it check the internal one that I am not using, or the external SSD? I Zalsohave a Seagate 1TB external drive that I use for Time Machine.

I don't know if the issues are related but seems like this Mac decided to cause me trouble all the way around :(

I will try to attach the EtreCheck report to this message.

Thanks in advance for any help,

G.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 12:27 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 5, 2022 9:24 AM in response to Jack-19

So sorry for the huge delay on this. Computer was working fine, being busy with two jobs and the holidays and I never had a chance to go back to this thread till now. I erased the internal disk as you suggested, now I don't see the two options anymore on Startup Disk (only SSD). Ran EtreCheck again (see report attached).

Still have the same issue with the desktop picture, I can't change the background. See screenshot attached, you will see a purple bar on top, that is the only thing that is changing. Looks like it changes on the back of the gray desktop.

The SSD I installed is: Samsung Memorie SSD 870

Thank you again for your time :)

G.

New SSD Startup external disk. Acting weird and apparently slow.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.