You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iCloud for Photo Sync & Mac Storage

Hi all,

I have a question about using photos in iCloud. I recently purchased a new iMac and I would like to store all my photos physically on my iMac and still use iCloud.

E.g. When I make photo's using my iPhone or iPad, they will appear and be stored on my iMac.

It looks now that iCloud photo's is simply on or off, and when enabled, I run out of my iCloud storage.

Bottom line; Use iCloud Photos to sync on all devices, but stored on my Mac instead of iCloud.

Any help is much appreciated! :)

iMac 24″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 8:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 7:45 PM

Anything stored on your iCloud connected devices is also stored in iCloud. If you wish to have your devices sync and photos to automatically download to your Mac from an iPhone, you'll need to upgrade your iCloud storage.

2 replies

Using iCloud for Photo Sync & Mac Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.