You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrade from Mojave

HI,

I have an early 2015 MacBook Pro with 264gb storage (60gb available) and 8GHz Ram. I updated it to Mojave 10.14.6 some time ago.

Last year my wife got a new mac that had Catalina installed but quickly upgraded to Big Sur.

I looked at possible upgrades for my MBP, seemed, at that time, my system requirements were not up to the upgrade.

But now I see that Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey are all compatible.

I use photoshop and Lightroom, both now requiring Catalina or newer for current and future upgrades. My question is, which upgrade should I go for? Pro's and con's

Thanks in advance and be gentle, I'm a software novice

Cheers

Roybosh

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 8:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 4:54 PM

Hard to say. Why not upgrade first to Catalina and see hows that works. You can then upgrade to Big Sur which is quite stable. If would stay away from upgrading to Monterey until there have been a couple of maintenance releases.

I use an aging version of Lightroom (V6.14) which is the last version that has a perpetual license. If you installed this version on Mojave, if will still work in Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey. However, it is fragile in the sense that if something goes wrong, you won't be able to reinstall Lightroom (the installer is a 32-bit application which is not supported as of Catalina).

I don't have any experience with Photoshop.

- Pie Lover

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 2, 2021 4:54 PM in response to Roybosh

Hard to say. Why not upgrade first to Catalina and see hows that works. You can then upgrade to Big Sur which is quite stable. If would stay away from upgrading to Monterey until there have been a couple of maintenance releases.

I use an aging version of Lightroom (V6.14) which is the last version that has a perpetual license. If you installed this version on Mojave, if will still work in Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey. However, it is fragile in the sense that if something goes wrong, you won't be able to reinstall Lightroom (the installer is a 32-bit application which is not supported as of Catalina).

I don't have any experience with Photoshop.

- Pie Lover

Dec 2, 2021 9:15 AM in response to Roybosh

Some apps require updates to run on later macOS versions. Mojave was the last macOS version that runs 32 bit apps. Thus, many apps may require updates to run on a later version. Even then some apps require updates to run on Monterey even if they ran on Big Sur.

Some suers have not been able to print/scan on Monterey since new drivers are required but unavailable. If it is an Airprint compatible printer/scanner then no drivers are required.

You need 26 GB of free space for the upgrade.

upgrade from Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.