You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovery key

Hi I'm trying to use the recovery key feature for my macbook pro but everytime I type in the recovery key it gives me to continue it says "not a valid recovery key". I've done this 5 times. Please help!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 9:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 9:14 PM

soonerfan95 Said:

"Recovery key: Hi I'm trying to use the recovery key feature for my macbook pro but everytime I type in the recovery key it gives me to continue it says "not a valid recovery key". I've done this 5 times. Please help!"

-------

Two things:

A. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. installations), system configurations (i.e. for the keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

and...

B. Use An External Keyboard:

If using the builtin keyboard does not work properly for resetting the SMC and NVRAM, then use an external keyboard to reset them. It doesn't have to be Apple brand (but a password concerted, post certainly consider using one). You might need this adapter: USB-C to USB A Adapter - Apple

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 2, 2021 9:14 PM in response to soonerfan95

soonerfan95 Said:

"Recovery key: Hi I'm trying to use the recovery key feature for my macbook pro but everytime I type in the recovery key it gives me to continue it says "not a valid recovery key". I've done this 5 times. Please help!"

-------

Two things:

A. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. installations), system configurations (i.e. for the keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

and...

B. Use An External Keyboard:

If using the builtin keyboard does not work properly for resetting the SMC and NVRAM, then use an external keyboard to reset them. It doesn't have to be Apple brand (but a password concerted, post certainly consider using one). You might need this adapter: USB-C to USB A Adapter - Apple

Recovery key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.