You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merge Apple IDs, as in close one and transfer to the other.

After over a decade of giving us all Me.com and later iCloud.com emails is it really true that we still have not been giving the ability to close our old Apple ID accounts and transfer those purchases to our new accounts? My original Apple ID is an old work email and I want to close that account and transfer my considerable amount of purchased music, movies, etc., to my regular Apple ID and it seems that Apple still has not solved this for the thousands asking the same question.

Is this truly the case?

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 2:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 5:49 PM

You can't merge Apple IDs. You can try setting up Family Sharing between the IDs if you want to be able to share purchases made with the IDs.

Family Sharing.   *

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6vZd14FsJ4

Family Sharing - Set up.  *

7 replies

Dec 18, 2021 2:44 PM in response to kellyNYC

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

If you want to, you can send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem or a suggestion for change. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem/suggested change solved sooner. Pick the closest topic you can find.

Click here to send Feedback   -

Jan 13, 2022 10:43 AM in response to FrustratedAppleUser369

If you forgot the Apple ID (iCloud) password, enter the Apple (iCloud) ID, and click Forgot Password. See if you can get a Rescue or Notification email option. Link to contact Apple Support at the end of the 2nd article.

Apple ID - Manage  -     

Apple ID – Forgot Password  *      

If you want to cancel your Apple ID account, you can deactivate it or delete it.

Apple ID - How to deactivate your Apple ID account.    *

All purchases made using an Apple ID are tied to the ID. Delete the ID and you will need to download them using your new ID. There have been posts by people who have contacted Apple Support and they were told that if you delete an ID associated with an email address, you can never reuse the email address for an Apple ID.  Make sure that you sign out of all your devices to avoid issues with apps that use your Apple ID account or iCloud. After your account is deleted, you can't sign out of iCloud or turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock on your devices. If you forget to sign out, you might not be able to use your device when your account is deleted.

How to delete your Apple ID account.   *  

Apple ID – How to Delete.  -

Delete Apple ID (new).   -

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support   -

Dec 21, 2021 4:51 PM in response to Eric Root

This is a bandaid, not a solution.

I do not want to share across multiple accounts. I want to delete my account and combine it to a single account. Managing two account and force sharing in incredibly cumbersome compared to what should an incredibly easy thing such as combining two accounts.

Unfortunately Apple is too smart for us and won't offer such an easy solution to the countless people with this issue. Sadly.

Feb 20, 2022 4:19 PM in response to kellyNYC

It really isn't that strange. Think of the money apple makes if every legacy mobileme or earlier user (with apple ids that weren't required to be email addresses) throws their hands up in frustration and just purchases all their content again.

There isn't any other reason than that. It's not a security issue, as evidenced by the fact that Apple recommends simply changing the password of you're apple id once someone else has accessed and abused it.

Merge Apple IDs, as in close one and transfer to the other.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.