You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade Mojave 10.14.6 & Excel 2011

I need to upgrade my Mac OS from Mojave 10.14.6 & Excel 2011. Have:

MacBook Air early 2015

Processor 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

What should I do?

• Which OS? Catalina or Big Sur
  • If Catalina how do I find the download?
  • Where/how can I get Home & Student version of Excel and what version?
  • I do not use MS Word/Outlook or other apps in MS Office
  • Not a very sophisticated spreadsheet user.
  • Can no longer use TurboTax with Mojave.

Wish to spend least $$$'s possible and do not want to go to license/fee basis.

Assistance will be much appreciated. I long retired (old) and do simple spreadsheets, prepare tax, keep track of expenses/medical/etc. Estimate that need upgrade that will be useful for about 5 yrs.

Thanks

Need assistance in able to continue with Excel. Tried Numbers but did not find it to be a suitable substitute for Excel.

Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 1:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 4:52 PM

First go to about this Mac and see what updates are shown and then go from there to choose. You will need to upgrade your MS Office to 2016 or later (but see note below). The latest is 2021 because 2011 will not work with Catalina or later. You can get the various operating systems from here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211683

Note: If you just need a spread sheet you could use Apple's numbers for free or LibreOffice for free.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 10, 2021 4:52 PM in response to musiu

First go to about this Mac and see what updates are shown and then go from there to choose. You will need to upgrade your MS Office to 2016 or later (but see note below). The latest is 2021 because 2011 will not work with Catalina or later. You can get the various operating systems from here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211683

Note: If you just need a spread sheet you could use Apple's numbers for free or LibreOffice for free.

Dec 10, 2021 5:57 PM in response to tbirdvet

Thanks. Answered al I need to know about updating my MacBook Air from Mojave 10.14.6.

Yes, I would like to continue with Excel and have been searching for a version compatible with Catalina and for +/-$100. No success yet.

Thanks again & will try Libre Office. I did test Apple Numbers but found it Lacking many features available in Excel. Will continue my quest for a reasonable Excel package.

Appreciate your prompt plus thorough review of Mac OS.

Upgrade Mojave 10.14.6 & Excel 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.