You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Watch keeps failing to update

Why does my Apple Watch keep failing to update?

Apple Watch

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 2:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 2:32 PM

Hi,

Could you specify the error message you are receiving each time you attempt to update your Apple Watch?

Prior to attempting to update watchOS, make sure you have completed the following:

• paired iPhone is running latest iOS.
  • watch battery percentage is at least 50%.
  • watch is on its charger/connected to power for the entire process.
  • both watch and iPhone remain close to each other throughout the entire process, and iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi.

Are you attempting to complete the pairing process and an update is required, but fails?

Try to pair your watch manually to your iPhone instead.

This is done by clicking Start Pairing on the Watch app > Pair Manually at the bottom of the screen > tap the “i” icon on your watch > tap on your Apple Watch listed on the Watch app (example: it should appear as Apple Watch 12345) > you will see a six digit verification code displayed on your watch, enter this code on the Watch app on your iPhone > Start Update

Is your watch currently paired, but you are unable to update watchOS via the Watch app on iOS, and on the Settings of your watch?

Hope this helps.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 11, 2021 2:32 PM in response to brott07

Hi,

Could you specify the error message you are receiving each time you attempt to update your Apple Watch?

Prior to attempting to update watchOS, make sure you have completed the following:

• paired iPhone is running latest iOS.
  • watch battery percentage is at least 50%.
  • watch is on its charger/connected to power for the entire process.
  • both watch and iPhone remain close to each other throughout the entire process, and iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi.

Are you attempting to complete the pairing process and an update is required, but fails?

Try to pair your watch manually to your iPhone instead.

This is done by clicking Start Pairing on the Watch app > Pair Manually at the bottom of the screen > tap the “i” icon on your watch > tap on your Apple Watch listed on the Watch app (example: it should appear as Apple Watch 12345) > you will see a six digit verification code displayed on your watch, enter this code on the Watch app on your iPhone > Start Update

Is your watch currently paired, but you are unable to update watchOS via the Watch app on iOS, and on the Settings of your watch?

Hope this helps.

My Apple Watch keeps failing to update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.