You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keynote remote not working

I am running Keynote 11,2 on Macbook Air on Monterey and iPhone 8 on iOS 15. I am not able to link Keynote on iPhone to the Macbook to remotely control Keynote on the Mac. I am able to follow the steps through to confirming the 4 digit code that appears on both phone and Mac, but after that when Keynote on Phone is searching for my MacBook, it times out. I am able to establish the connection from the same phone to another Macbook running Keynote, just not this one.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 12, 2021 1:35 PM

4 replies

Dec 13, 2021 10:13 AM in response to ilagi_daddy

Hello ilagi_daddy,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with using your iPhone for Keynote Remote with your Mac. To start, check out the steps listed here to see if they resolve the issue: Use Keynote Remote to control your Keynote presentation

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Dec 13, 2021 11:45 AM in response to ilagi_daddy

We understand ilagi_daddy,

Next, what we would recommend, is testing this issue in another user account: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

If that doesn't help, test this issue in safe mode. Safe mode (sometimes called safe boot) is a way to start up your Mac so that it performs certain checks on the software: Start up your Mac in safe mode

Cheers!

Dec 13, 2021 10:46 AM in response to Nicholas_B2

Hi, thanks for the reply but unfortunately it does not help. I have seen this work fine on other Mac and iPhone combinations but it is not working on mine. I am able to follow the steps through to confirming the 4 digit code that appears on both phone and Mac, but after that when Keynote on Phone is searching for my MacBook, it times out. I am able to establish the connection from the same phone to another Macbook running Keynote, just not this one.

Jan 5, 2022 4:00 AM in response to SnickZ.

I have this same issue, even after following all the steps above.

I just bought a brand new MacBook to replace my 2012 MacBook so that I could start using Final Cut Pro for video editing (I had maxed out what I could do with iMovie with a couple of my side projects). My iPhone 12 Pro Max sometimes had issues pairing with my MacBook for Keynote, but my iPad (2020) never did. This was annoying, but generally fine because I usually use my iPad while teaching for controlling the Keynotes, since I can use the Apple Pencil (the only reason I would try to use the iPhone would be if I accidentally left the iPad at home; unfortunately, it's not been a reliable backup for that option since the Phone and Keynote don't seem to want to talk to each other on a regular basis).

However, now that I have my nice shiny new MacBook (Monterey 12.1), neither device can be used as a Keynote remote with this new MacBook. Apparently, I'm going to have to go back to my 2012 MacBook (High Sierra) to be able to use my iPad to aid in my teaching?

I can still Bluetooth connect to my 2012 MacBook, if necessary, too. What's up with that feature not working with my iPhone or iPad on the new MacBook, either (same as with Keynote- I can get the 4 digit pair code, and then I get an error from the Bluetooth driver saying the devices aren't compatible when I try to connect)? Considering I just spent several thousand dollars to get this computer, I'm not happy that such basic features of the operating system and integrated software of these devices are working on an old, outdated MacBook, but not the most current and up-to-date one. What happened to "It just works"?

keynote remote not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.