You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The App 'Pages'

I can open files in Pages, but I cannot save the files. It gives me an error "pages” is damaged and can’t be opened." Your most recent changes might be lost. The document “filename.pages” is on a volume that does not support permanent version storage. Your changes have been saved and you will not be able to access older versions of this document once you close it. To undo your changes, click Revert.

I deleted Pages multiple times and updated it and it still gives me that error message. I just need it to act right.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 11:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 7:04 PM

You could create a folder named "Pages Documents" in your local Documents folder, and save the next Pages document there. All subsequent Pages documents will be saved in that location until you change it. Makes it real easy to find them too.

I suggest you use Time Machine to back up your Mac to a devoted Time Machine external drive that is 2.5 - 3x the size of your internal drive. That way, you will not lose any saved Pages documents, and be able to recover them in the future.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 14, 2021 7:04 PM in response to rudyrue007

You could create a folder named "Pages Documents" in your local Documents folder, and save the next Pages document there. All subsequent Pages documents will be saved in that location until you change it. Makes it real easy to find them too.

I suggest you use Time Machine to back up your Mac to a devoted Time Machine external drive that is 2.5 - 3x the size of your internal drive. That way, you will not lose any saved Pages documents, and be able to recover them in the future.

Dec 13, 2021 2:11 PM in response to rudyrue007

Either use your own local storage on your Mac or iCloud Drive. Apple does not guarantee that Pages documents saved on other cloud services (OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.), unsupported external drive formats, or on NAS servers will behave in an expected manner.

Once a Pages document reports that it is damaged, you are done with that document and it is non-recoverable unless you have an earlier copy backed up on Time Machine.

The App 'Pages'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.