You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does itunes still support the downing loading of i tunes to a usb drive

I have been in contact with you tech support several times still not able to identify USB device on my i tune account on my computer not allowing me to download to my usb drive. No problem with the I phone. Has i tunes stopped supporting downloading to USB thumb drives.? Paid a lot of money

for the songs but cant put on my thumb drive. NOT HAPPY!

THANK YOU

PATRICK SKELLY

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 9:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 10:22 AM

I don't recall iTunes ever supporting downloading from iTunes to a USB device. The iPhone isn't a problem because that's what iTunes is for; to manage Apple devices, not to manage USB sticks.

If you wish to copy songs that are in your iTunes Library, use Windows Explorer to copy them from the folder (on your computer) where they are stored, onto the drive. iTunes plays no part in the process at all, except if you need to locate the files.

If you don't know where the files are located, you can use iTunes to find them. Right-click a song in iTunes and select Show in Windows Explorer. That will open the folder (on your computer) with the file in it. The other files, for the other songs on that album, should be in the same folder. Then use the normal copy procedure offered by Windows.

Note that you cannot copy songs that originate from the Apple Music service.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 14, 2021 10:22 AM in response to patrickskelly

I don't recall iTunes ever supporting downloading from iTunes to a USB device. The iPhone isn't a problem because that's what iTunes is for; to manage Apple devices, not to manage USB sticks.

If you wish to copy songs that are in your iTunes Library, use Windows Explorer to copy them from the folder (on your computer) where they are stored, onto the drive. iTunes plays no part in the process at all, except if you need to locate the files.

If you don't know where the files are located, you can use iTunes to find them. Right-click a song in iTunes and select Show in Windows Explorer. That will open the folder (on your computer) with the file in it. The other files, for the other songs on that album, should be in the same folder. Then use the normal copy procedure offered by Windows.

Note that you cannot copy songs that originate from the Apple Music service.

Dec 14, 2021 1:16 PM in response to patrickskelly

1. This is a user to user forum. You are not addressing Apple Support, only other users like yourself. As such it is not our tech support. It is Apple's tech support.
  2. iTunes itself will not detect your USB drive. It never has. iTunes only detects Apple devices it can sync with.

You can however drag an drop songs directly from the iTunes application onto the USB drive in Windows Explorer or your desktop. This has always been possible and continues to be. The exception to this are Apple Music subscription service tracks, which are DRM protected and will not get copied over to a USB drive from iTunes. But can be copied directly from the folder to the USB drive, however, they will not play from the USB anywhere since they are protected.

A regular USB drive has never appeared directly within iTunes.

does itunes still support the downing loading of i tunes to a usb drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.