You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DNS Issues in macOS 12.1

I'm running macOS Monterey 12.1 and started to notice a very serious DNS issue that is effectively making my system unusable. I have had recurring minor issues where internet access seems to fail randomly for a bit, but generally this could be resolved by dis/reconnecting my wireless or rebooting the system as a last resort. Generally that would fix the issue for a while before having to repeat the process.

This morning through to the time of this post, I have been unable to correct the issue in any way. The problem seems to be rooted rather squarely in the area of DNS. It initially presented itself as an inability to access any internet sites through either the Edge or Safari browsers. This was further exhibited in any services that use DNS to resolve internet locations (One Drive, App Store, etc.)

I have run through a litany of tests to include traceroute both IP and FQDN, nslookup, flushing the DNS cache, etc. Connectivity out to the internet is not halted completely, however. I have been able to ping and traceroute to internet DNS servers such as 8.8.8.8/.4.4 as well as the OpenDNS DNS servers. It is only when attempting to reach a location using its FQDN that the system exhibits this failure.

Is there a current fix incoming to address this as currently I have a rather expensive and functionally limited device on my desk.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 2:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 12:06 PM

Reposting from Apple Community username: "pjarnts" who left this "fix" on the other big thread on this issue and I am reposting the fix that worked for me here, as well with hopes that it may help others:

"I have been seeing this same issue, and to work around it I went into System Preferences -> Network and selected Cisco AnyConnect Socket Filter in the left hand pane (there are actually two instances of the Cisco AnyConnect Socket Filter and I chose the one that had a description of Please use “Cisco AnyConnect Socket Filter” to control this DNS proxy configuration). Then click the options pull down menu (the button that has three dots and a down arrow) and chose Make Service Inactive) then click the Apply button. After that, DNS service was restored. Will continue to monitor for reoccurrence."

I have been using this approach for 24 hours now without loss of DNS or connectivity. First time in two months and since the Monterey update I have had this level of Broadband consistency.

Best,

FightingIbis

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 2, 2022 12:06 PM in response to logikil

Reposting from Apple Community username: "pjarnts" who left this "fix" on the other big thread on this issue and I am reposting the fix that worked for me here, as well with hopes that it may help others:

"I have been seeing this same issue, and to work around it I went into System Preferences -> Network and selected Cisco AnyConnect Socket Filter in the left hand pane (there are actually two instances of the Cisco AnyConnect Socket Filter and I chose the one that had a description of Please use “Cisco AnyConnect Socket Filter” to control this DNS proxy configuration). Then click the options pull down menu (the button that has three dots and a down arrow) and chose Make Service Inactive) then click the Apply button. After that, DNS service was restored. Will continue to monitor for reoccurrence."

I have been using this approach for 24 hours now without loss of DNS or connectivity. First time in two months and since the Monterey update I have had this level of Broadband consistency.

Best,

FightingIbis

Dec 14, 2021 2:57 PM in response to logikil

Have you rebooted your router?

I have only seen one problem like yours and I recall rebooting the router resolved the problem.

Have you tried changing the DNS server you are using? By default the router will use the DNS server assigned by the internet provider and the computer will also use that by pointing to the IP address of the router.

Dec 14, 2021 3:24 PM in response to lllaass

Unfortunately a router reboot isn't likely to fix the issue. I have several other systems of varying OS and purpose in and outside of the subnet where the iMac sits, not exhibiting any issues. I have changed the DNS server configuration to point to the subnet gateway, the router, as well as external DNS providers all with similar results.

I did however find that booting into Safe Boot does correct the problem, but booting back into a normal session brings the issue right back which indicates that it is most likely an issue with a startup item or launch agent/daemon. The only startup item tied directly to my user login is OneDrive, but there are several different items in /Library/LaunchAgent /Library/LaunchDaemon and /Library/StartupItems. The unfortunate thing is i am not sure which of these locations is run during Safe Boot so it seems like it will be hit or miss. I am curious as to why this just now surfaced in this way.

Dec 14, 2021 7:51 PM in response to Thermopyle

As noted before a router reboot isn’t going to fix this type of issue. The problem is tied to one of the daemons or agents associated with MS Intune, Defender ATP, or DLP. These weren’t causing issues before so something seems to have changed either in macOS or those applications.

In any event for anyone seeing something similar that is led to issues with startup items, I started up and created temp folder for each of the startup locations listed earlier. I moved the files in the original folders to these temp folders and then added them back one by one to identify the problem startup items. Good luck!

Dec 14, 2021 11:16 PM in response to logikil

Same problem here!!!!

I have reinstalled 12.1 from scratch (formatted, only reinstalling doesn't fix anything!) using recovery (that connects perfectly to the same Wifi and was the same before 12.0.1 update!) and now it works again. It's a shame for Apple, since a lot of users are reporting this issue after every update. Wifi was connected (also on other hotspots and iPhone) but DNS does not work. I have tried all suggested workarounds found on the web.

PS: Also the installation procedure is HORRIBLE: long times with only a black screen. No Apple logo, no loading bar, no vital signs. You can only pray and hope that installation continues.

Thank you Apple

DNS Issues in macOS 12.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.