You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi Slow on MacBook Pro compared to iPad and iPhone

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro, 8GB Ram, i7 processor running Catalina 10.15.7 connected to the Internet via wifi. Comcast upgraded my Internet speed to 600 MBS. When I run speed test on my 2020 iPad Air and iPhone 8 both are close to 600 MBS. When I run speed test on MacBook Pro, it tops off around between 100 to 200 MBS. When I disconnect wifi and connect via ethernet, the speed is the same as the iPad Air and iPhone. This problem started after I updated to 10.15.7.

I have tried resetting the router, turning wifi on and off but to no avail. Since I use the iPad Air as my main mobile device, I can live with using ethernet on the laptop but I am wondering why the speed is so different. Does anyone have any suggestions. I worked in IT before I retired but not in networking.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 9:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 12:22 PM

How old is your iPad and your iPhone ? Are they 2012 too?of course not…

wireless technologies change drastically in a few years…so they have a faster wireless card than your MacBook…

The 2012 MBP has a maximum theoretical transfer rate of 300 Mbps wirelessly in a perfect lab environment. So , your 100~200Mbps sound about right

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 17, 2021 12:22 PM in response to AF74-95

How old is your iPad and your iPhone ? Are they 2012 too?of course not…

wireless technologies change drastically in a few years…so they have a faster wireless card than your MacBook…

The 2012 MBP has a maximum theoretical transfer rate of 300 Mbps wirelessly in a perfect lab environment. So , your 100~200Mbps sound about right

Dec 17, 2021 5:40 PM in response to Sonicray

Sonicray, thanks for the response. That is what I was thinking. I wasn't sure if it was the wireless card or a software glitch. I was running El Capitan when I had Xfinity wifi installed at 300 mbps and the Xfinity tech showed me speeds right around 300. Since I can connect via ethernet cable, there is no reason to ditch the laptop for a newer one. Once Apple stops supporting Catalina, I will wipe it and load Linux Mint or Ubuntu on it.

Wifi Slow on MacBook Pro compared to iPad and iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.